Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Trains.

The trains we have taken in Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan have been first rate. We have had two and four berth cabins the restaurants have been acceptable, if uninspired. We have bought meals from ladies selling food on the platform. On the way to Bukhara, a lady brought us a meal to our cabin. It was sausages, mashed potatoes , fried egg and a salad. It was a good meal and reminded me of my first meal on a Russian train twenty years ago. The restaurant had an extensive menu and I spent a lot of time putting together a three coursed meal. When the waiter came to take my order he listened politely to my complex request and said „we have sausages and mash“.
But it is definitely an improvement to when I lived here 20 years ago. Then I remember going from Moscow to Arkangelsk and there was nothing to be had but warm sausages and bad beer. Same on the way to Yalta, except they had boiled potatoes instead of sausages. And I find it surprising that there are no direct trains between Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan, nor Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan. I would have imagined better transportation between former Soviet countries.
But train travel is still relatively cheap. The overnight train from Turkmenabad to Ashgabat costs 15USD and similar from Alma Ata to Shymkent. The only problem I have encountered so far is lack of electricity. Sockets don‘t work or are inexistant. It has been difficult to load laptops, ipods & cameras. But it has usually been possible to plug in in the train attendants cabin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free counter and web stats